Sunday, November 8, 2009

Who’s the Man?!

Well, around these parts, “the man” is me! :-D I have just completed my third – yes, folks, my magic three – independent task!

First was my battle with Comcast cable. Getting my cable television connected should come with the subtitle: Constant Reminder that You are Alone. Because that’s what I was. I was alone the whole eight hours I took off from work to wait for the cable guy who never showed. I was alone, when I called customer service no fewer than eight times. I was alone when I was routed and transferred to every state in the union except California. And I was alone when I was cussing and screaming because I knew “my call may be recorded for training or quality assurance purposes.” And I was still alone just three days later when my snazzy new hi def cable went ka-put. It was while I was on hold for 45 minutes with what ultimately turned out to be the customer service department in Washington DC when I literally cried out to God, “I hate this, Lord! I hate that I’m so alone – why do you make me do this alone when you know I can’t handle it?!”

How come I have to say silly things earnestly and out loud before God will answer me…? Because it wasn’t one second after those words were out of my mouth that God said simply, “I’m here.” Huh? Oh, right. You. Creator of the Universe. No offense, but, um…aren’t you busy with something more important? “Nope. I’m right here.” Huh, ok. A few minutes later I was transferred (again) and three clicks on my remote later, cable was restored.

So Thursday, when my new coffee table was delivered in several pieces, rather than brain storm people I could beg to come help me put it together, I decided that between the two of us, I could get the table together myself. And, with only a couple of tense moments, I did.

Today I bought a floating shelf. I’ve always liked them, but never got one before because they seemed like a hassle to mount. Studio living encourages making the best use of all areas (even walls), so tonight I tore open the packaging and…great, molly bolts. Seriously?! Deep breath. Ok, we can do this…right? Well, apparently not – one molly in, and I’d already run into issues. God, hello?! What happened to ‘I’m here’?! “I’m here.” Then why aren’t you helping me?? “Because you didn’t ask.”

The molly that I screwed up is still screwed in crooked, but the one that I did with God’s help is perfect. And that’s the screw holding the lion’s share of the weight for my little shelf, hanging off the wall. I like it that way. When I look at it, it reminds me that I have several choices in my life. Recorded proof in multiple customer service departments, nation-wide, that I am a psychopathic b*tch would be the result of choosing to do things alone. Sturdy accomplishments, that I struggled a bit to complete and need to remember to give God full credit for are the results of trusting God tentatively. I can choose to give my efforts to God to complete/repair/resolve part way through…or I can live a life given fully to God from the beginning. Naturally I want to choose the last one!

My little floating shelf is my pseudo nightstand. Maybe waking up to it every morning will remind me of the choice I want to make every day. And hopefully it will remind me that the answer to the question, “Who’s the man?!” is, and always will be….God.

Love y'all,
~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment