Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Eat It Up

Tuesdays are Lemon Pepper Chicken day in the cafeteria.  It’s only been two months, but my co-workers already know what will be in my little to-go box when I come back to my desk on those days.  Occasionally, the cooks will get a wild hair (or maybe just some extra chicken) and make my beloved recipe on other days as well.  It hasn’t happened often, but just often enough to make me wonder what’s for lunch Wednesday through Monday…and then begrudgingly settle for the Orange Chicken booby prize.  Next week, my organization will begin the (labor intensive) relocation to a new building in a new city…far enough away from my current building to make Lemon Pepper Chicken Tuesdays completely unrealistic.  So I’ve been using my booby prize lunches as a means to remind me to relish what I have, when I have it.  Because someday, it could go away.

My job is kicking my butt.  But it’s doing it in the same way my Zumba class does.  I’m grunting and puffing and trying to keep up…but gladly coming back for more.  When I first got this job, work was scarce.  I diligently reported for duty and held down my chair everyday…while I surfed the web.  Work was delivered to me with little to no instruction and enough time elapsed between assignments that I wasn’t able to remember the process, recall what went where or determine what needed to be done.  Now, I’m the point person for a team and have to keep everyone else’s plates spinning as well as my own.  I like this much better, but on my busiest days, I do think back to “the good ol’ days” when I could message my friends on Facebook (or even make a doctors appointment with out feeling guilty) during work hours.

I have two dates scheduled for the same night.  I don’t know how this happened, but it did – and one is even a Christian.  It’s like Lemon Pepper Chicken two days in a row (lol)!  My dating history is hit or miss, so who knows if there will be a “love connection” with either of these men.  But, I’m not looking for a husband (yes I am, let’s keep it real, Mimi!) – ok, ok, I’m not actively interviewing for a husband.  At this phase in my life, I’m focusing on living life and enjoying life and experiencing whatever that means.  Hopefully, these goals will bring me a full and satisfying life as well as someone to share it with.  So I want to take particular care to enjoy the process – to relish it, because two dates in one evening might not always be situation normal for me.  Circumstances might take me away from such a social calendar the same way workload and geographic moves change my world.

I don’t like change.  I really, really don’t.  But it’s unavoidable.  Today as I scarfed down my Lemon Pepper Chicken while I pulled a file out of a moving box for my Intern and I tried to take a mental moment to enjoy.  To enjoy my chicken, to enjoy my busy job and to enjoy my current office and the way I know where everything is at.  Tomorrow, I’ll enjoy two dates (that still makes me grin, lol).  A time may come when I have no dates.  A time will definitely come when I have no more Lemon Pepper Chicken, and I’ve had enough new jobs to know that my web surfing days aren’t completely over yet. 

I want to make an effort to be aware and live in each present moment.  There is always a blessing in this present moment and I want to see it and absorb it and experience it to the fullest whatever it may be.  This present moment’s blessings might be different from the one before or after, but there’s still a blessing there.  Exhibit A: My office move will take me away from this addictive Lemon Pepper Chicken.  But it’s also putting me within walking distance to Georgetown Cupcake.  God is good!! :-D

Love y’all!
~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment