Thursday, December 31, 2009

Son of Sam

When my childhood dog died, what I remembered the very most about him, was how good he was. If I had followed his example in any one way – his goodness, his love, his ability to forgive – I would be so much of a better person. Years later, I got a dog of my own and had to come up with a name. Malachi means “messenger of God”. Not only was it a kind of fun, funky name for a fun, funky little dog, but it would always remind me of the lessons I’d learned from my first dog.

Malachi is almost two years old, so recently we decided it was time to see how he’d do outside his crate for a whole night. The experience made me think of me and God. In other words, my dog, was an example to me of how I should be with God.

I didn’t sleep well that night, acutely aware of the 15lbs of dead weight in the middle of my bed. Malachi was curled up tightly against my stomach or my butt or my side. Whatever piece of real estate he had access to, that’s where he was glued. But whenever I would move, he would leap to attention still half asleep, but ready for whatever I wanted him to do. He slept hard all night and when the morning came and he was ready to get up, he was persistent and wouldn’t leave me alone – but he didn’t get off the bed until I said, “ok, let’s get up…”

David Berkowitz said his dog talked to him and that’s why he killed his victims. So let’s just be clear here, Malachi isn’t talking to me, ok? I mean, I’m not that weird. But stick with me for a sec, while I explain myself…

Malachi stayed connected to me even while he was asleep. He changed positions, from his initial spot under my chin, but he never lost contact. He never went off on his own – he always maintained a connection with his master (James 4:8). Whenever I moved, he was up and ready – whenever he thought I wanted him to do something, he was ready for it. He didn’t know what it was that I needed or might need, and he was sort of in the middle of something, being asleep and all…but regardless, his master might be wanting him and so he was ready (Matthew 24:44). When Malachi was ready for a change, he didn’t do anything without my ok. He was diligently communicating anyway he was able to. He communicated with his master without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

So, there it is. Just a little reminder that I got recently, about how to live out my Christian walk…from my dog. I suppose he’s really living up to his name! :)

Love y'all!
~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment