Friday, December 25, 2009

I Found God in a Viral Video

I read a blog recently that I really liked. The author made a pointed effort to see God in everyday places. In 2010, I will read the entire Bible. I’m sure it will be an experience and I’m confident it will create more God sightings in my everyday life… a spiritual “Where’s Waldo?” of seek & find, if you will.



2009 has been an awesome year for me. Not awesome as in “totally rad” but awesome as in “showing or characterized by awe”. This year has been a journey. Some days I’ve felt wholly alone. Other days, I could clearly see God at work. But every day has been a journey forward.

When I watched this corny little video, the first thing I noticed was the song. A song that described my failed efforts. 2008 was a year I experienced an intense love, intense loneliness and a great valley season in my life. 2009 was a year that I healed from those things. The song was descriptive and upbeat…and funny. T talked about make effort after effort and failing. I liked that the song made me smile, when usually songs about struggle are usually sad.

As I listened to the song, I started watching the video…a squirrel trying to get to over a hurdle. But the squirrel was small and the hurdle was so large. I’ve felt that way before. When I was healing from love, or when I move to a new place. When I try to make changes in my life that will improve myself or my circumstances. God tries to help. He shows me again and again how to do it. He meets me where I’m at, and shows me that it can be done. But I’m afraid. I’m too small. I need a lot of help. Someone came into the video and left a backpack for the little squirrel. The little squirrel resisted at first but, then, came back and tried it. It didn’t work, it was a false start.

Then another opportunity comes along. God comes with me up to the hurdle and then he goes ahead, “You can do it – come to me!” and I have to figure out how to make it work. This time something is different and I make it. I have figured out how to make it over the hurdle and God and I are off to new adventures and challenges. But even though I’ve conquered the hurdle and it’s behind me now, I know that I might not have made it over the hurdle at all without the help of people around me who are watching and who care.

There are several concrete walls in my life that I’m in the process of scaling and I’m sure that in 2010 I’m going to make it. “You can do it – come to me!” God is saying. And with the help of those around me, I will! :)

Love y’all!
~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment