Sunday, April 11, 2010

I Found God in Barack Obama

It’s been a long, long time since I’ve blogged. I’ve had a zillion things on my mind, which, I imagine will find their ways onto these pages, eventually. So much has happened since my grandpa died, I don’t really know where to start and it’s causing me a decent amount of writer’s block, to be honest. But recently when I saw a little blurb in the news about my favorite president, I chuckled and was reminded of my partial goal to see God in random things this year. So…I found God in Barack Obama.

On April 5th, at a baseball game in Washington DC, President Obama threw the first pitch of the game. Wearing a Washington Nationals jacket, he jogged to the pitcher’s mound bare headed. But then before making the actual pitch, he paused, pulled a Chicago White Sox cap out of his pocket and pulled it tight over his head. He then stood for a moment, grinning and looking around proudly. HA! Standing on the pitcher’s mound before throwing the first pitch of the game, Barack Obama took the perfect opportunity to represent for a completely different team!!!! :-D Because you can take the boy outta Chicago, but you can’t take Chicago outta the boy! His actions hit the news (naturally) but so far as I can tell, there is no decided reaction one way or the other. I choose to believe this is because deep down, even the most dedicated fan understands the concept of, well, dedication.


Barack Obama and his White Sox cap are sealed into my memory, as an illustration of dedication, of commitment – and of how to represent my faith in Jesus Christ. My life is so…daily. I go to work, I go to the gym, I walk my dog, I go to the grocery store. As a Christian, I am called to live in this world, but not be of this world – to be a light in the darkness. Like my president, who now lives in DC, but remembers where he's from.  I want to take the time to conciously pull on the attire of the beliefs I proclaim: among others, patience, peace, humilty, boldness, love...So that, whether they be few and far between, or come repeatedly every day, when my moments come to stand grinning on the mound, my cap will proclaim that regardless of my circumstance, I am a follower of Christ!



Love y'all! :)
~M~

2 comments:

  1. I love that Obama did this! Sure, he was there to throw the pitch for the Nationals, and I'm sure his advisors begged him not to wear that cap, and I just love him so much for doing it anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesss, me too!! that's why i like him so much, he's just real. i'm not particularly political (republican, democrat etc), but "real" trumps politics any day! :)) thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete